Local Information :: council

Old Town Hall


The Old Town Hall was built in the 1890s on land donated by Sir John Whittaker Ellis, a former Lord Mayor of London and the first mayor for the new borough of Richmond, for use by Richmond Council. Whittaker Avenue is named after him. It was opened in 1893 by the Duke of York. After the formation of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames in the early 1960s, a new Civic Centre was built in Twickenham, and the Old Town Hall was used for a time by the Social Services Department. It was refurbished in the 1980s for use by the Library Service and now houses the major information services for the borough -- the Reference Library, the Local Studies Collection and Richmond Information Centre, plus the Museum of Richmond and the Riverside Gallery.