Archive of posts from August 2011
It is that time of year again… time to start thinking about secondary schools if you have a nine-eleven year old.
26 August 2011 | news
Alpha Course – Life is worth exploring!
The Alpha Course is open to everyone interested in discovering what Christianity is about, and we would love to meet you! The Alpha Course runs on Wednesday evenings at 7:45pm from 28 September until 7 December 2011 at Stephen’s Church, East Twickenham. Evenings are relaxed and informal, so please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org
26 August 2011 | around_town
There are times when the stuff that we accumulate around ourselves threatens to take over our lives. Bookshelves groan under the weight of unread books and CD racks creak with forgotten records. Cupboards are stuffed with things that we don’t even know we had and wardrobes are hung with clothes that went out of fashion when David Bowie abandoned the 3 inch stack heel for lounge suits. What can we do? There are 3 possible solutions:-
- Do nothing until the neighbours wonder, “Whatever happened to old so-and-so?” and our bodies are found buried under a mountain of David Cassidy albums, Dan Brown books and rusting Swiss Fondue sets.
- Go out at midnight and stick it all into a neighbour’s skip.
- Take it all to GASS and sell it.
25 August 2011 | around_town
Saturday 17th September will start with the recreation of the Charlie Shore’s Twickenham Boys’ and Girls’ Regatta, which was founded in 1894 and last held in 1958; it is hoped to be an annual event. The regatta competitors are boys and girls (ages 13-16). The event will be for 20 rowers from schools in the Borough.
The Charlie Shore Regatta is sponsored by the Richmond Environmental Information Centre, with the Twickenham Rowing Club as its delivery partner. The 350m course will be from opposite the White Swan to the site of the original Charlie Shore boathouse, just below the Eel Pie Island footbridge.
21 August 2011 | around_town
A musical showcase from the British Army’s finest musicians featuring Rock, Pop, Soul, Jazz Big Band, Folk and Celtic music performances
RHYTHM FORCE was launched in 2006 to showcase the Corps of Army Music’s contemporary musical talent. The RFU has agreed to sponsor the highly popular event as part of the Great River Race and Twickenham Riverside Regatta Weekend on 17th and 18th September with two nights of concerts in Orleans Gardens on Saturday 17 & Sunday 18 Sept 6.45pm-10.45pm.
21 August 2011 | around_town
Over the past two months thousands of residents have been using a free trial RichmondCard – these are due to expire on the 31 August 2011. If you have a trial card and would like to continue to receive benefits such as up to 30 minutes’ free parking and 10% discount on longer stays, register now.
19 August 2011 | news
World music festival on Richmond Riverside, Terrace just North of Richmond Bridge
Richmond Riverside comes alive from 1 to 8pm, Saturday, 20 August 2011 to the sights and sounds of live music and dance from across the globe. Now in its sixteenth year, this much-loved festival offers the borough’s residents and world music enthusiasts eight hours of fantastic free entertainment.
Grab your picnic basket and dancing shoes and head down to On the Edge.
19 August 2011 | around_town
The Great River Race, London’s River Marathon, is a spectacular boat race up the River Thames that attracts over 300 crews from all over the globe and appeals to every level of competitor from those who enjoy fun, fancy dress and charity stunts, to serious sportsmen and women who like to win. A great fun day out for competitors and spectators alike.
18 August 2011 | around_town
A year has passed since the first summer match. If you attended the first one, we are sure you will be here for the second and if you didn’t why not come down and show some support. Whether you are fishing or saying hello you will be made most welcome.
There will be 2 matches run at the same time.
- 19.00 – 00.00 (midnight)
- 19.00 – 07.00 (12 hours)
17 August 2011 | around_town
On 10th September 2011 at 7:30pm at the Duke Street Baptist Church in Richmond there will be a classic concert by a young Czech opera singer who lives at St Margarets. The Summer Romance has Ester Svandova singing and Chris Huntley accompanying her on the piano in the evening full of romantic music including Schubert, Dvorak, Smetana and also Bellini, Rossini and Mozart arias.
16 August 2011 | around_town
- Event Reminder: Bats in Richmond — 16 August 2011 | around_town
- Kew Village Market - Invitation for Stall Applications — 16 August 2011 | news
- Will You Accept Mayor Clare's Volunteer Challenge? — 15 August 2011 | news
- Photos of the London-Surrey Cycle Classic — 14 August 2011 | news
- Three Peaks for Francesco — 12 August 2011 | news
- Timings and Road Closures for the London-Surrey Cycle Classic — 11 August 2011 | news
- Event Reminder: The Good Wine Shop Free Beer Tasting - 13 August 2011 — 11 August 2011 | around_town
- Missing Cat: Jessie — 11 August 2011 | around_town
- Richmond Inclusive Schools Campaign — 11 August 2011 | news
- New: Kew Village Community Market — 11 August 2011 | news
- Three Parks Challenge and Family Walk - 24 September 2011 — 11 August 2011 | around_town
- Zac's Blog - The Riots — 10 August 2011 | news
- Ongoing Disorder in the London Area — 9 August 2011 | news
- Response to London Disorder — 9 August 2011 | news
- London-Surrey Cycle Classic Schedule — 8 August 2011 | around_town
- Discover Stories in Gardens this Summer! — 5 August 2011 | around_town
- Richmond Tops England in Primary School Sats 2011 — 3 August 2011 | news
- London-Surrey Cycle Classic Road Race - 14 August 2011 — 3 August 2011 | news
- Use Your Senses and Hit the Trail in Richmond Park — 3 August 2011 | news
- Would your children like to be part of a dance performance at Hampton Court Palace? — 2 August 2011 | around_town